Monday, March 31, 2014

Interview with Yvona Fast- Autism Acceptance

This interview is with Yvona Fast, who is a writer and author of three books.

I am 59. I have a Master’s in library science and am a writer and author of 3 books: 
 
Garden Gourmet: Fresh & Fabulous Meals from your Garden, CSA or Farmers' Market Bloated Toe Publishing, 2013.
 
Employment for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or Non-Verbal Learning Disability: Stories and Strategies, Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2004.
 
My 9 Lives: A Holocaust Memoir, 2011 (co-author with Dana Fast)
 
I also write a weekly food column for the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and a blog at www.wordsaremyworld.com
 
What is your life like as an Autistic person? 
 
This is very general and broad so I don’t know where to start.

What is the most difficult about being Autistic, for you?
 
People often misunderstand me. And I often misunderstand them because I don’t read the body language.

What is the most joyful, fun, exciting thing about being Autistic? 
 
Not sure

How has the Autism Acceptance Day/Month effort over the past four years affected you personally? If you were not aware of it until recently, what meaning does Autism Acceptance Day/Month have to you now? 
 
All people should be accepted for who they are regardless of neurological or other differences.

What is one thing about acceptance that would make a difference in the world?
 
If people stop judging others until they’ve walked in their shoes. For example, people think I’m stuck up or a snob when I simply don’t recognize them (I have some face blindness).

Do you have children or other family members who are Autistic? If you would like to say something about them, please do. 
 
Don’t have children
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respectful comments appreciated. Name-calling, trolling, etc.? Those won't be published.