Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Why Is So Much Division and Anger in April?


By Karla Fisher.
Yesterday AM most of the Autistic Adult community and its allies were fighting for a life. Literally fighting for a life. At the same time, the rest of the world continued unaware. You see, it was the case yesterday that yet another disabled (autistic in this case) person was denied medical services due to the perception that a disabled life is not as worthy as a normal life. Through our combined efforts the hospital finally responded and offered this person the service.

This is the type of work that we (in the Autism Advocacy community) do on a regular basis. Most of us are tightly networked with one another behind the scenes of our pages. We watch the landscape carefully to find the right targets for our work. We respond to pleas of help from parents, caregivers and each other. We are a community tight and true. We have deep love and respect for one another.

Yesterday was especially hard as the person's life we were fighting for was one of our own. I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat all day. But beyond that I had fear in my chest. A fear because I knew that one day, this could also be my life that is in danger. I have been denied services in hospitals already many times due to my Autism. I am dismissed as crazy or badly behaved. I am fighting a medical bill and collections today due to one of the incidences last year in fact.

When we fight strongly and passionately against the messaging that happen during this month of April, it is because we are scared. Because we know that as long as the world sees us as burdens or dangerous we all are at risk for this sort of discrimination. Many of us live it today.
This post is originally on  Karla's ASD Page. The image is here.